Wednesday 28 March 2012

There is Nothing Wrong with Having a Boy

There is a reason why baby girl dolls out sell baby boy dolls at a rate of about a million to one.  Every little girl wants to be a mommy to a little girl.  And like so many other childhood fantasies (i.e. finding a Prince Charming to sweep you off you feet or visiting Disney World) this fantasy seems to carry over with us into adulthood.

When I was pregnant with my second baby I can’t tell you how many times people (ok, women) came up to me and said “Oh – are you hoping for a girl this time?” Or, if I mentioned I was having a boy, they would give me that look, with a light pat on the arm, as if to say “Aww, I’m sorry” and then go on to ask me if I will continue to try for a girl – as if that was the sole reason I became pregnant in the first place.  This is not ok people.  First of all, I am extremely grateful to have healthy babies of any gender, and secondly, there is nothing wrong with having a boy.
Don’t get me wrong – there is nothing wrong with wanting to have a girl.  As women it is natural for us to want someone to teach how to wear makeup, dress up in frilly pink dresses and basically pass on the secrets of womanhood to.   But as a mom of two amazing boys, I think we (women) need to learn to appreciate how awesome having boys can be as well. 
For example, while you don’t get to dress boys up in frilly pink tutu’s (well, you could if you wanted, but I digress), you can totally dress them up in other ways – my favourite is ‘little preppy’ or ‘baby Bieber’ as I like to call it.  I even gave Simba the original Bieber haircut and you wouldn’t believe how adorable he is.  People constantly stop us and tell us how cute his hair is.  So there you go – who needs ribbons and pigtails when you can have a Bieber baby? 
So you won’t be getting the new Barbie Dream House for Christmas if you have boys.  But honestly I prefer playing with Woody, Jessie, Buzz and Slinky Dog instead of those big-boobed, impossibly skinny dolls that just make me feel bad about myself.  And although I will most likely be stepping on dinky cars for the next 7-10 years, those damn Polly Pocket things are just as bad and twice as expensive. 
Ok, so it will probably cost me twice as much to feed a teenage boy as it would a teenage girl, but I will be saving so much on makeup, purses and shoes that it will probably all equal out in the end.  And finally, and most importantly (in my opinion) they don’t call them Mama’s Boys for nothing.  There is a special bond between a boy and his Mom that I personally am not a good enough writer to describe.  Sufficed to say I wouldn’t trade either of my boys for all the girls in the world.  But that is only as it should be between a mom and any child, no matter the gender. 
So whether you are a mom of girls, boys, both or neither, I hope that we can all see that a baby of any gender is a gift – no one gender is better than the other and both should be celebrated and loved just the same. 
But if you are a mom of a little girl, go out and buy her a baby boy doll would ya, and I’ll make sure to buy my boys a toy vacuum.   Deal?

-Wendy

No comments:

Post a Comment